Sunday Morning as I sat in Church we were going to be singing the song: "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day". Shortly before the singing began a brother in our ward stood and gave us the background to this incredible song. Many of you may know this story, but it was new to me. The song comes from a the Poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. He penned the words on December 25, 1864. By all accounts the last few years had been very difficult for the poet. He had just received word that his son serving in the American Civil War had received crippling wounds. A couple years prior, Henry had lost his wife in a tragic fire, that had burned him severely enough that he was unable to attend her funeral.
Yet, on that Christmas morning in 1864 as he heard the bells ringing he wrote the following beautiful lyrics:
I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old, familiar carols play,
and mild and sweet
Their old, familiar carols play,
and mild and sweet
The words repeat
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
I thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
I thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along
Th'unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
And in despair I bowed my head;
"There is no peace on earth," I said;
"For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"
"There is no peace on earth," I said;
"For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The Wrong shall fail,
The Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men."
Till ringing, singing on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime,
A chant sublime
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The Wrong shall fail,
The Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men."
Till ringing, singing on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime,
A chant sublime
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
Going from despair in one stanza to the belief that God is not Dead is remarkable to me. Longfellow could have given up on his belief and fallen into despair. But instead he had the hope and the faith in a loving Father in Heaven.
It is at this special time of year, the time we celebrate the most incredible event to ever happen in this world. It is my hope and my prayer for each of us, that through the chiming bells and the songs of Christmas, we can all remember the birth of our dear Savior, his life that he lived and gave for us. But that we also might all have that belief that He in fact does live and that he is ready, willing, and able to help us. All we need to do is reach out to Him ask, and believe He will be there for us.
I also wish you a very Merry Christmas.


No comments:
Post a Comment