Wednesday, August 27, 2014

This little Birdy

A couple of weeks ago, after a softball game, I walked back to my truck and noticed this little guy sitting on my passenger side mirror.  While I was removing my cleats I had a few minutes to watch what he was doing.  Apparently, there was another yellow bird that lived in the mirror, near as I can tell, he didn't like the guy in the mirror and so he would fly at him and try to scratch and peck at the bird in the mirror.  He did this a number of times (close to a dozen) with the same result.  I have thought about this bird a number of times and wondered about the life lesson I should take away from his experience.

1.  How often do we look at ourselves in the mirror and not like what we see and therefore attack what is in front of us?
     *  Does anyone ever truly like their reflection?  Why can't we we like what is in front of us?  Instead of being negative, why don't we build ourselves up and make ourselves feel good?  Because it is hard right? But why?  Why is it so hard?  It shouldn't be, making those changes to start liking ourselves should not be difficult.  We should want to like what we see.

2.  Do we time and time again repeat the same actions and expect different results?
     *  We all know the old quote:  "If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got".  This works on so many levels of life.  Relationships with family, relationships with friends, work,  talents, etc.  If you want to see an improvement or change, you need to be willing to try something new, something different.  Move out of the comfort zone and make progress.

Of course, I can always tell others and help encourage them to change, but not so good about changing myself.  Maybe this time it will stick.

No comments: