It all started a few months ago, I was walking through the mall, I was just in the mood for a little shopping. Then I walked past the display, I looked at them and said to no one, they are the perfect color. What might they be you ask? Well, they are the perfect color of brown socks.

I have a pair of pants for work that are well, brown. I have several pair of brown socks, but none of them are the right color to match them. Now, please don't think I worry so much about fashion that I won't wear socks that are a shade off. But I think that I actually have a decent sense of style. And trust me, as a larger man, it is difficult to find clothes that don't make you look old or worse yet frumpy. Well, back to a few months ago. I looked at the socks and thought, these are the perfect color. Yet, they are a brand I have never tried before, heck I had never even heard of them. I still made the purchase, I thought all would be well.
The day came that I thought to wear them. I pulled them up and immediately knew my initial gut reaction was right. They were tight on my calves. Still I hoped they would stretch out a bit and feel comfortable. They didn't. Through the course of the day I kept having hope for my new apparel. They didn't want to stay in place, they rolled and I found them around my ankles, more than once I had to take off my shoes and adjust them so they were straight on my feet. Once I got home I told myself that I needed to just throw them away as well as the other two pair. I didn't. I convinced myself the other two pair would be better, they weren't. Why didn't I throw them all away at that time? Well, there might be a day when I need a pair of brown socks. My washing machine might eat one of my other pair, I might get a hole in the toe. They would be my safety socks, my false sense of security.
So, they sit in my closet and wait for the day when they might get called up for the show; for their chance to shine. Maybe one day I will be desperate or maybe in a soft mood and give them another shot at glory. Until then, they will stay in my closet and taunt me, reminding me of my wasted money. Or maybe they are serving a purpose; a reminder that I should go with my gut. Or maybe they will give me the courage I need to return my purchase, when I have that horrible feeling of buyers remorse.
1 comment:
Do you know how many times I have caught myself doing this same thing with pants, shirts, skirts, you name it....
Post a Comment