Sunday, October 7, 2012

"Soup"er Sunday

The first Sunday of October is always one of my favorite days of the year.  You might wonder why?  Well, it is one of those kick back relaxed days that I spend with my family.  Today was no exception.
Yesterday, I decided that I was going to invite my family up for Sunday Breakfast.  This year we had bacon (baked in the oven, best idea ever) and waffles.  This morning as I was grabbing items out of the cupboard, I found strawberry, grape and apricot preserves.  At the last minute I grabbed chocolate chips and powedered sugar.  Additionally, everyone was a little surpirsed that I actually had peanut butter in my house.  Despite believing that peanut butter is the most putrid thing on the face of the earth, I know my family likes it and I figured that as long as I didn't actually have to taste the peanut butter, then it could be allowed in my house.  Second item that was mentioned, was the lack of coconut syrup.  Not only could I not believe that I didn't make the coconut syrup, I couldn't believe that making it had never even crossed my mind.  (Epic Fail)  At least everything else was good enough to make up for it.
Several years ago, mom decided that it would be fun to make soups for this particular Sunday each year.  Two reasons; first is it is general conference weekend and soups are something you can make for a large group and still watch conference.  Additionally, the first weekend in October is the opening weekend of the Elk Hunt in good old Utah.  Well, soups are a perfect meal for those coming in off the mountain.  Warms us up and is a hearty meal.  Over the years, each "household" has brought a pot of soup.  Since mom is currently in need of rest, all of us made the soups.  Mom was given the assingment of breadbowls.  She was able to complete her assignment with one phone call.  The soupds this year consisted of Creamy Potato, Chicken Noodle, Clam Chowder, and a Fall Stew.  (Can you guess which one I brought?)  This is one of my favorite meals of the year.  The soups are always amazing and there is something fun about eating the soup out of a breadbowl. 
Today was a near perfect day!  Loved spending the time with my amazing family. 

1 comment:

Natalie Schafer said...

What soup did you do? I would guess Creamy Potato. And if so I want to swap recipes. Mine is AMAZING!!! These are my favorite kind of days. Sounds perfect!