For as many years as I can remember, I was going to have a life in politics. From the time I was a young boy I wanted to be in the political arena. My college experience only enhanced that desire and drive. I graduated with a plan to change the world. My 20-year plan had me serving in the US Senate. When, before I knew it, I was focused on doing my job the best that I could, I got caught-up in the day-to-day things that all of us do. It wasn't too long until my 20-year plan was out the window.
Then several years ago, someone asked me to help out with the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, I changed jobs, and found myself becoming more and more involved in community activities and events in my local community. I helped out with my dad's campaign for Nephi City Mayor. One day I realized that I still had that bug to serve, to be active both politically and in other civic affairs. However, I no longer had a goal of influencing the policies of our federal government, but instead, I found myself wanting to serve, be involved, and make a difference locally. Shortly after the first of the year, I started talking about it with family and friends. I asked for opinions and advice. I sat down with my boss and had a heart-to-heart with him. Would he support me if I chose to run? Would I be allowed the flexibility and time to do the job right. He wholeheartedly supported me not only as a friend but as my employer. On the first day of filing, I was at the Clerk's office before they opened. Not wanting to appear too eager, I paced the hallway a few minutes until the doors opened. It was all too surreal as I walked in and officially declared myself a candidate for the Juab County Commission.
The process thus far has been very rewarding. Visiting with fellow citizens from all over the county has been worthwhile. I have loved hearing opinions, thoughts, and fears from so many people. It has all been an eye opening experience. However, one of the most incredible and exciting moments for me was about 10 days ago, I received in the mail a copy of the sample ballot. Seeing my name on the ballot brought it all home. I don't mind saying, I was a little choked up seeing my name and once again being hit with the impact of me taking a step to fulfilling a dream. The dream to serve those around me, to enhance my community, to give back!

No comments:
Post a Comment