Earlier today I was sharing emails back and forth with one of my friends from SUU. We were discussing my current campaign. One of her comments to me was: "I am glad you are using what you learned from your campaign at SUU." While reading her reply I nodded in agreement and thought back to the many lessons learned while campaigning for office at SUU. When, like a ton of bricks, this blog post strikes. I need to mention the greatest campaign / voting lesson learned. That lesson is: "Your voice, your vote does matter! Every vote counts." Despite that being common knowledge, let me tell you how that lesson was learned.
While at SUU, I launched a campaign for SUUSA President. Together the Students at Work party worked out guts out and we campaigned hard! After weeks of this hard work, election day arrived. We worked harder that day than I could have thought possible. When polls closed, we knew we had given it our all as we breathed a sigh of relief waiting for election results. At the appointed time, all candidates gathered together in the Student Center waiting to hear the much anticipated results. They read the votes for President first, I listened intently for my name. As results were ready I sat there mouth agape, 2 votes. Did I really hear that correctly? I missed moving to the general election by 2 votes. I was in shock; and immediately running through my mind was the thought; had I worked just a little bit harder I could have gotten those 2 votes and maybe even a third.
The remainder of the evening I beat myself up, mad at myself for not working hard enough. It was a rough night. But that evening was nothing compared to what happened over the course of the next several days. I had at least dozen people (I stopped counting) approach me and apologize for not voting. They all told me that they were out of town, they forgot, they were busy, they figured I had it in the bag and they would catch me on the general election. These were some of my close friends and classmates. Having friends tell me this was nothing less than a kick in the gut. I have to be honest this was harder to take than the loss. But it was then and there that I realized, your voice matters, your vote counts!
My good friends, fellow Juab-ites, let your voice be heard. Let your voted be counted. This Tuesday, be certain to cast your ballot. I am not even saying you have to vote for me (although that would be appreciated) but please just get out and vote. It is important, it matters! Your voice, your opinion it matters! Let your voice be heard!

No comments:
Post a Comment