Thursday, July 10, 2008

The 74th Annual Ute Stampede


It's Rodeo Days in the good old town of Nephi. A time of tradition and rekindled friendships, a time for family togetherness and fun. Every year the 2nd full weekend of July is the Ute Stampede and has been going on in Nephi for 74 years. (I think they took a year off for WWII). This is our original small town celebration and I love it! I love attending the Ute Stampede, why you might ask? Well here is a list of my favorite Ute Stampede things:

1. I like the 3 day cowboys. Doesn't matter what they are all the rest of the year, for the stampede they don their boots, hats, and your favorite western shirt. You have to fit the part right?

2. I like the flat rodeo burger served. The proceeds benefit the scouting organization in Nephi.

3. I like running into old friends that I have not seen since graduation, weddings, or maybe even just last year at the Stampede. It's great to take a few minutes and get caught-up with old friends.

4. I like the chuck wagon breakfast served by the Lion's Club. For $3.00 you get ham, sausage, pancakes and two eggs. Sounds like a deal to me.

5. I like the Texas Twister Drink you can purchase at the City County Complex. Just a fruit drink, but served in a 32 oz. cup that helps to quench the thirst of a hot July afternoon.

6. I like the nostalgia of the stampede. It started so many years ago and only serves to bring the town together. We even are nice to the "move-ins" for these 3 days. (That last sentence was meant for Jocelyn.)

7. I like watching the City of Fun Carnival pull into town. Since my parent's house is only a few blocks away from the fairgrounds aka the center of the celebration, the day they started moving into town all of our belongings were officially watched over and out bikes had to be chained up in the backyard. We were also not allowed to go swimming until after the carnies moved out. After all, they used the pool to get themselves clean.

8. The Sunday after the rodeo is over all the mother's in Nephi start telling their kids it's time to get ready for school. As summer is now over. When I was young I dreaded those words, but now I can look back and laugh.

9. I like that we have a parade each day to keep you excited for the stampede. Although, it has been over 15 years since I have went to the Saturday Parade (bathing beauty) I like that they still keep the tradition going.

10. I like a corn dog and a caramel apple straight from the carnival. Saturday night I always buy a Carmel Apple and eat the caramel on my way home. By the time I get to my parent's house the caramel is gone and I can throw out the nasty apple on the inside.

11. I like watching the serpentine grand entry opening night and looking to see who has fallen from their horse. Actually, the serpentine entry is the most discipline disorganization one can ever imagine watching.

There are many more reason why I like the Ute Stampede, but my favorite is in the following video. You think patriotism and the love of America is fading, you have never been to a rodeo or the Ute Stampede. For over 20 years the following has been a tradition and has been one of the best parts of the stampede. After all these years, I still get choked up. I don't know if it is the flag floating towards me, or watching people that I know in uniform holding old glory, either way, this is one of my favorite parts of my summer. I apologize for my shaking, I was a little disorganized in my filming. I know I could get better on subsequent nights, but I really wanted to post this tonight. I truly hope you enjoy.


6 comments:

nmcghie said...

I buy a Texas Twister drink every year at Fiesta Days in Spanish Fork. Definitely a thirst quencher on a hot July day. Gotta love 'em!

Jamie said...

Another small-town Utah tradition I'm very sad to be missing again this year.

Colton and Garrett said...

Thanks for making me cry with your video! It is that DAMN song that does it EVERYTIME!!!!!!

Lisa Miller said...

That was awesome. Tks for sharing. I got goose bumps just watching. Can't imagine how great it would have been to be there. I love that first song. Well, I love both, but that 1st one gives me goose bumps. It came on the radio the other day and I was singing it really loud. Zach and Aubrey were just rolling their eyes because I was starting to tear up. I told them that one day they would get the same reaction when they understood it's meaning.
By the way, I noticed at least 4 of your list items dealt with food. Right on!!! I knew I always liked you. Of course, everyone knows my love of food. "It's almost lunch time." :)

Jocelyn said...

Maybe you should change to Ute Stampede to "be nice to move ins" day. I find it a little odd that you use the same words to describe the carnies that you often use to describe the move ins. Glad you had fun and you should eat that apple it is good for you. :)

Natalie Schafer said...

This is exactly why I love the State Fair every year! We go on Thursday and hit the rodeo before all the crowds that weekend. But I eat my apple also :)