Monday, February 16, 2009

Yep, I might be getting old.

I know, it wasn't too long that I was lamenting the fact that people were starting to call me old. Well, I think as I approach my next birthday (29?) I might be starting to fall apart. While watching the Superbowl with the family, I was staring at the television and thought that the scores appeared a little blurry. No one else thought this, much to my chagrin. I scheduled an appointment with my friend Dr. Jones (seriously, the best eye doctor ever). I sat down and told reminded him I was just here in November, but that my eyes had been bothering me. Well, I went through the series of tests. I guess I should just show you:


Yep, I am now 4-eyes. Anyway, as the exam was finishing up I reminded Dr. Jones that I had a slight astigmatism. He let out a little evil laugh and said "Not any more." Apparently, I have the astigmatism in my left eye and am far-sighted in my right. This kind of bothers me, because for so many years my eyes were always strong. My previous optometrist told me my vision was "better than perfect". In addition to the need for glasses, my eyes are very dry. Which apparently can be fairly common with people that work on the computer in a controlled environment. (Which of course I do.) I took this rather strange test. Dr. Jones put some little pieces of paper in the corners of my eyes and then I closed my eyes for 3-minutes. When the time was up, we looked to see what the measurement of tear absorption was. Dr. Jones showed me a normal persons absorption is at 20, mine was at 2. Yep, those are some dry eyes. To help correct this problem, I get to put steroids in my eyes for the next 2 weeks. (I have been doing it for 2 weeks.) Additionally, I have a dietary supplement of Omega 3 fatty acids that I take twice daily. I just want you all to know, they taste much better initially. Because later, you can taste the fish oils. (Sorry, I am certain that was too much information.)

You know, I can't just stop at one problem. I made a stop at to see my physician, also Dr. Jones. (Different Jones) He has been checking my blood pressure a few times and has decided that mine is running too high. So now, I have to get that under control. I think telling someone their blood pressure is too high, helps contribute to the problem.

Really? Am I falling apart? Probably not. At least I hope that I am not!

5 comments:

Colton and Garrett said...

Love the new glasses! You look so much smarter!

Jamie said...

Embrace the glasses - it's a great look for you.

paintergirl4ever said...

You are definately falling apart. Dare I say that we should return you to wal-nart (ha ha) and get a new model. I would really like a new brother in-law....okay so that goes both ways. Love ya.

Natalie Schafer said...

I think the glasses are a great look although I have told you that every day since you have gotten them (and come to work, twice ha ha)

Sandra said...

There are ways to combat old age. It's called hitting the gym consistantly or was the excessively. It has help keep my blood pressure and cholesterol low. It's also great when I have my grandkids with me and people think they are my kids. But the thing with the eyes can not be combatted with exercise. I too have had to embrace the fact that my arms are not going to get any longer so I need the assistance of glasses to read the fine print. It sucks, but at least there are some decent looking frames available now. :)