Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Nature's Fireworks

I do love the 4th of July. I love our small town carnival and the fireworks sponsored by the city. This year was going to be no different. Well maybe. Before heading to the football field to watch the fireworks we traditionally have a BBQ and family dinner at the house. This year, Mike and Ali were not able to make it as they went to a baptism for Ali's cousin. Amberle came up to enjoy dinner and fireworks with us.

After dinner we gathered around for a while and visited before the fireworks. As the designated time was drawing near we noticed that it was really dark outside. Within a few minutes you could hear the wind blowing and the rain started setting in. I am not talking a mild little thunder-bumper. No, this was a real cats and dogs, wind-driven rain-storm. We hoped it would let up soon and we would still be able to watch the fireworks. We were not that lucky, as the night closed in the Fireworks Nature had in store was more prevalent. Lightning bolt after lightning bolt was exhibited across the sky. It was a beautiful display of bright lights and thunder claps. We lost power for about an hour. Since we were not able to watch the city fireworks the family was gathered together and we caught-up with one another and reminisced about the good old days. Despite the day not going as planned, I think it was still a great celebration of the day.

No comments: