The last post I did was the 500th of my blog. I knew it was the 500th when I wrote it and I intentionally didn't mention it, because well I wanted "The Manor" to have a post of its own. Now this post is not what I wrote in my head for post 501, well, I might make that 502. This story has to be told.
This morning as I was getting ready for work, I was choosing what I wanted to wear and after I had my shirt and jeans on, I was looking through my shoes, trying to find a good pair. I knew the ground was going to be slick, which meant I needed to find shoes that would grab at the ice. I know that after work today I will be running around on my feet, therefore my shoes needed to be comfortable and provide me the correct support. The shoes of course also needed to match the belt and well, look good with my jeans. I honestly took more time selecting my shoes today than I did everything else combined. I soon discovered why this was to be so important.
I arrived at the office early, I had a project or 12 that I wanted to get done before the office filled up and got humming for the day. I stepped out of my car, shut my door and then opened the back passenger door. I grabbed out my computer bag, putting it over my left shoulder. I reached back in and grabbed my plastic grocery store bag, containing my breakfast. Shutting the back door I hit the lock button on my key chain. I made a quick left turn towards the office and slipped a little. I thought to myself, oh you better be careful, this is really slick. I looked down and chose what I assumed to be the wise path. I would stay in the slushier areas until I reached the clear sidewalk. My steps were conservative and very careful. Finally, I looked down and assumed I was clear, I took one more step....within an instant...but felt like an eternity I threw my breakfast and was up in the air. We all know I am afraid of heights right? Well I looked down and was pretty certain I was never going to hit bottom. I guess my real question: How did I get so high into the air? I can't normally jump that high.
Landing with a thud and yes with profanity escaping my lips, I looked around. It was still dark, no cars driving by on Main Street, no one in the nearby buildings, none of my coworkers in the office. I think I was safe. Slowly I picked myself up. I grabbed my computer bag and put it back over my left shoulder. I walked the 10 feet to where my breakfast rested. I grabbed the bag and to my dismay, the Sara Lee Whole Wheat Bagel I had brought for my breakfast was sitting in a nearby slush puddle. No, I did not put it in a sandwich bag, I wrapped it in a paper towel and assumed it would be okay on the 3 block ride I had to work. I picked up my drenched bagel and said out load, to no one: Well, I guess that is the weight watching gods telling me that the bagel was unnecessary. Slowly I shuffled my way to the office door, took out my key and stepped inside. I threw the bagel in the nearby trash can and when the warm air hit me, I realized that not all of my was warm. In my rush to pick up myself and get inside the building before anyone saw me, I failed to realize that I had landed in one of those beautiful slush puddles and I was drenched.
I turned on the lights and my computer then headed out the door. Made it safely back to my car and home where I not only changed my jeans, I also changed my shoes. Even though I am certain only my pride was actually dented, I do hurt (just a little) from tooth to toe! Oh and in case you were curious, I did manage to walk back into the building without further incident. Thanks for your concern.

No comments:
Post a Comment