Monday, July 19, 2010

I have a rant. Shocking, I know!

I have noticed something lately, that has always sort of bugged me, but has recently irritated me more than usual. Here it is, quit trying to upsale me! I know, I know, it is your job and some people more than likely get an incentive, a commission, or performance pay. Doesn't make it any less irritating to me. Let me give you my two recent examples.

#1--Once in a while I will stop at Burger King for breakfast. They have a good breakfast sandwich. So, I get into the drive through, place my order upon which I immediately say, that will be everything. Over the crackle of the speaker I hear "Would you like me to put that in a combo for you?" My reply "No thanks, that's everything." Once again through the crackle of the speaker: "Would you like some of our delicious cookies?" With a bit of edge in my voice; "No thank you, just the sandwich." Speaker: "that will be $2.79 at the window." Could have saved me 12 seconds and my patience by just giving me the total.

That one was only slightly irritating compared to my next example.

#2--While standing in line at Deseret Book, I hear the clerk asking everyone if they want to join their "rewards program". Since I am already a member, I figure that will end my conversation and get me out the door quickly. First thing out of his mouth was not what I was expecting, instead I get: "Would you like some of our yummy Lion's House Rolls?" Which are indeed yummy, but not on my menu for dinner that evening. After I told him that I did not need any rolls, I gave him my phone number. (Which is another complaint, but having worked on the other end of those phone numbers I understand why they ask.) Then he says to me: "Oh, you are a Super Duper member of our rewards program." I reply with "Yes, yes I am. Thank you." In my head, please just let me pay for this and get out the door. "Just as I am hoping this conversation wraps up he said to me: "Are you familiar with all of our new rewards for you our members?" I assured him that I was, as I had just renewed my "Super Duper" membership less than a month ago. "Oh these are new rewards, just started Monday." Please sir, I don't need to know more. He proceeds to give me a hand out and circled the URL so I can look them up myself. Which I wish he would have done in the first place.

Really, I am not a grumpy person, nor am I unreasonable. I understand these people have a job they need to do, but really, when I show no interest at all and it is OBVIOUS by my tone and body language I am a bit irritated, it is just time to let me move on. Maybe BK and DB both need to offer their associates a class in reading body language. Might make for less irritated customers. Or at least would limit the number of dissatisfied customer ranting on their blogs.

1 comment:

gwailow said...

You grumpy bastard. In all seriousness though, the lady at BK did the same thing to me yesterday.